Mental health plays an important role in how we think, feel, act and relate to others, including our emotional and psychological well-being. It also impacts how we deal with stress and make choices that influence other aspects of our lives. Because of this, it’s important to understand how to maintain positive mental health, as well as identify signs that you or someone you know may be experiencing a mental health problem. Here at Home To Home Calls wants to share some tips about how to promote good mental health.
(Home To Home Calls is a national daily telephone befriending service, if you would like any more information, do not hesitate to contact us on 0800 316 8802).
Promoting Positive Mental Health
There are a number of things you can do to manage or improve your overall mental health, including:
- Improving lifestyle habits, such as increasing exercise/physical activity, eating well and getting enough sleep
- Maintaining a support network of friends and family to stay connected
- Volunteering or finding other ways to help in your community
- Developing coping skills and stress management techniques that work for you, such as yoga or meditation
- Keeping a positive attitude
Recognizing Early Signs
Mental health problems are common and can affect anyone. However, most issues can be resolved with help, so in order to maintain positive mental health, it’s important to seek help right away if you think something might be wrong. The signs below can be an early indicator of a potential problem:
- Change in sleeping habits
- Lack of energy
- An increase in smoking, drinking or drug use
- Severe mood swings
- Unexplained aches and pains
- Feeling unusually confused or upset
- Inability to complete normal daily tasks
If you or a loved one experiences any of these behaviours, seek help from a professional to discuss further. Many people experience mental health problems throughout their lives, whether due to biological or hereditary issues or a traumatic life experience. It’s nothing to be embarrassed about, but it is important to seek help in order to address any issues.